The Animal Welfare League of Arlington adopts pets to residents of Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C.
Meet & Greet
- Once you have found a pet you are interested in adopting, please follow the instructions in each pet’s profile to arrange a meet & greet with the pet’s foster parent or a staff member.
In-person or virtual appointments for in-shelter pets are available every hour from 12-6 pm on weekdays and 12-4 pm on weekends (except Tuesdays).
- Appointments become available 24 hours in advance. We only book appointments one day in advance. If you do not see any available appointments, please check back!
- For in-person appointments:
- All visitors must wear a mask at all times and observe social distancing.
- Each meet & greet appointment is limited to 30 minutes.
- Application reviews will be conducted after the meet & greet if the adopter would like to move forward.
- All animals will be required to go home the same day and are processed on a first-come, first-match basis.
- For virtual appointments for in-shelter pets:
- A Zoom video chat link will be emailed to you a few minutes before your appointment.
- Virtual appointments for in-foster pets are scheduled by the foster parent, typically within 24-48 hours.
- The meet & greet does not guarantee adoption.
Fill Out Our Online Application
- If, after your meet & greet, you want to apply to adopt the pet, you will be given a link to the pet’s online application.
- Applications are processed on a first-come, first-matched basis, so we recommend filling out the application as soon as possible if you are interested in adopting.
- Please follow all prompts within the online application. If your application is the first received, a member of staff will call to review your application. If for any reason the first applicant in line withdraws, the next applicant will be called, etc.
Sign Contracts & Pay Adoption Fee
- Once your application has been approved, you will sign the adoption contract and pay the adoption fee online.
Take Home Your New Pet!
- Once you have signed the adoption contract and paid the adoption fee, you will be able to set up a time to pick up your new pet and take them home.
- For your safety, we have a contact-free pick-up process.
- Please wear a mask when you arrive to take home your new pet.
Adoptions will still take place on a first-come, first-matched basis and standard adoption policies apply. If you have questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.