AWLA is seeking highly-motivated individuals looking to connect in a meaningful way for the greater good.
If you are passionate about creating a humane community in which animals and people live together harmoniously, and possess the skills necessary to successfully grow and govern a mid-size nonprofit, we’d love to talk to you about becoming a member of our Board of Directors. We’re looking for motivated leaders who believe in our mission to improve the lives of animals and people by providing resources, care, and protection and want to leverage their networks to raise awareness, followers, and funds for AWLA.
- Board terms are three-years and align with the fiscal year (July 1-June 30).
- Members may serve a maximum of two consecutive terms.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis [throughout the year].
- Interviews and recruitment take place in the spring.
- Five meetings per year (usually 7-9pm on the 3rd Wednesday of the month)
- Three committees – Development, Finance, Governance & Ethics
- Average monthly time commitment is 2-5 hours.
- Applicants need not reside or work in Arlington.
- Attend annual board orientation session.
- Actively participate in all meetings.
- Be part of at least one committee.
- Make an annual personal financial contribution to AWLA.
- Support AWLA events.
- Leverage connections to expand AWLA’s network
AWLA’s Board does much of its work through its committee structure. Committee members are appointed by the Board Chair with the approval of the Board Officers. (Member preferences and professional strengths are taken into consideration.) Committees currently include:
- Development – Works with AWLA staff and leadership to monitor and evaluate fundraising strategies and results; spearheads efforts to enhance the organization’s philanthropic activities; and manages member compliance with board commitments.
- Ethics and Governance Committee – Considers and makes recommendations to the Board regarding a range of ethical issues that relate to AWLA’s work and mission; responsible for regular review of the Board’s Policy Statements and Position Statements; considers issues relating to the governance of the Board and is responsible for recruitment and nominations of new Board members.
- Finance Committee – Monitors AWLA’s financial activities; sets policies for management of shelter’s financial resources; establishes annual operating budget; and provides oversight of annual IRS submission and audit of AWLA’s financial statements.
In addition, the Chair, with the approval of the Board, may name other ad-hoc committees from time to time for specific goals, such as a capital campaign committee.
AWLA prioritizes a diverse set of views to inform its work and deepen its connection to all communities. To best serve AWLA, the Board seeks the following attributes in its members:
- Business acumen and connections to corporate decision-makers
- Community involvement, specifically as it relates to AWLA’s outreach programs and services
- Familiarity with local and state government officials and operations
- Finance and accounting skills
- Fundraising experience
- Legal training
- Public relations and communications know-how
- Strategic thinking
The Nomination Process
AWLA accepts applications year-round. To be considered for a board position, please complete the applicant interest form below.
Once your interest form has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the nominating committee, and we will contact selected candidates for interviews. Candidates will meet with members of the nominating committee and, if there is mutual interest, be invited to attend a future board meeting. Applicants selected to be added to the slate of candidates for election will be approved by the board of directors.