We can get through this, together.
We have been so incredibly grateful for all the support and offers of help we’ve received over the last week. Things are changing every day, but we always know we can rely on our friends and community.
Starting tomorrow, some more changes are being made at AWLA, in order to further ensure that our staff, volunteers, animals, and the public stay as safe and healthy as possible. We might be closed, but we’re not going anywhere. We are still here to help our community.
What’s changing (temporarily) at AWLA:
- Adoption services are suspended until further notice.
- Any animal that can go into a foster home will be picked up by their foster families tomorrow (3/20). We have had a huge outpouring of interest in fostering, so at this time we have enough foster homes. If you would like to be placed on a wait list to foster, visit
- Any animals that are not able to placed into foster will continue to be cared for by our Animal Care Team and other staff. With so few animals in the shelter, they will be getting lots of one-on-one attention!
- Our Pet Pantry is still available to the public, but will be located outside our front door from 12PM-7PM each day. Anyone who is in need of supplies for their pet(s) is welcome to use the Pet Pantry. We do ask, however, that you use the honor system and only take what you need. We want to make sure there are enough supplies for all who need them.
- We are asking Arlington residents who need to surrender a pet wait a few weeks unless it is a true emergency. If you have questions or need to schedule an emergency surrender, please email email@example.com.
- Animal Control services are still available 24/7 for emergencies, and from 7AM-10PM for non-emergencies. Please call (703) 931-9241 to leave a message for the Animal Control team with our answering service.
We will continue to keep you updated on what’s happening at the shelter, and we will re-assess these changes at the end of the month. If you have questions or need assistance, send us a DM or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember…we can get through this together! We’ve been getting lots of requests of how our community can help our animals during this time, and we are so grateful! For the time being, we are asking the community NOT to drop off donated items at the shelter; instead, please consider purchasing much-needed supplies from our Amazon wishlist that will be shipped directly to the shelter.
Thank you all so much for your ongoing support during such an uncertain time. We are so happy to be a part of the Arlington community.
At this time, no-one at our facility has tested positive for coronavirus, or has been identified as having contact with anyone who has tested positive. However, in an effort to reduce the risk of exposure, we are asking the public to help limit the number of people in the shelter for the immediate future. So, as well as cancelling events through March, we also want to ask our friends and supporters to be mindful when visiting the shelter.
We are continuing to operate as normal, and have lots of wonderful animals looking for homes, so please check out our adoptable animals here, or free app (Arlington Pets), and if you see an animal that you’d like to meet, give us a call at (703) 931-9241 to determine a good time to visit. Likewise, if you need to surrender a pet, wish to make a donation, or have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We do, however, ask that those who are not doing the above refrain from visiting the shelter at this time. We hope that this will ensure that our staff and volunteers can continue caring for our animals with minimal disruption.