Humane Education Assistant (Paid Internship)– Animal Welfare League of Arlington in Arlington, VA
Humane Education Assistant – Paid Internship (2 positions available)
The Humane Education Assistant works closely with the Community Programs Team of the Animal Welfare League of Arlington and will assist with four (4) Summer Humane Education Day Camps which includes facilitating arts, crafts, and games as well as planning presentation content and co-leading League tours. This position is based in Arlington, Virginia.
About the Animal Welfare League of Arlington
Since 1944, the Animal Welfare League of Arlington has been committed to improving the lives of animals. The League provides temporary care and refuge for homeless and suffering animals; places animals in loving responsible homes, provides animal control services to Arlington County, and subsidizes county funds to provide a wealth of animal welfare and community services. The Animal Welfare League of Arlington is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
The Animal Welfare league of Arlington is dedicated to creating a world where all companion animals find compassionate and permanent homes. For more information, please visit www.awla.org
This position reports to the Director of Community Programs and works within a team 2-3 additional staff members. The Humane Education Assistant will also work closely with League staff, volunteers, and the public.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement Humane Education Presentation content
- Co-lead Humane Education Presentations and League Tours
- Follow up with Guest Speakers when necessary
- Facilitate daily art and craft activities for each of the four Day Camps
- Resolve issues and provide support concerning campers either pre or post registration through email, phone consults, and in person
- Organize and track camper registration
- Answer correspondence and follow up with registrants as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate program with a full-time status
- Excellent communication and counseling skills
- Strong public speaking skills including experience presenting information to a wide variety of audiences
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to engage, inspire and instruct children
- Available to work all camp dates/times, 35 hours per week for 8 weeks (June 15th – August 7th)
- Computer literacy including MS Word, Excel, Email and Database skills
- Undergraduate working towards a degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Teaching experience and curriculum planning knowledge
- Experience in the field of animal welfare or animal shelter
- Ability to think analytically and problem solve, combined with a willingness to ask questions and work collaboratively
- Ability and desire to work with children from diverse communities
- Resourceful and creative thinker
- Energetic, hard-working, and a team player
- Highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Positive, enthusiastic, professional image in representing AWLA, both internally and externally
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
Requires prolonged sitting or standing with some bending, stooping and stretching, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. May be required to lift items and animals and be physically active. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with shelter animals, the public, volunteers, campers, and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a fast paced ever changing environment.
Must enjoy working with children ages 6 – 13.
Must be comfortable handling dogs, cats, and small companion animals.
This is a part time, temporary, 35 hour per week, non-exempt, hourly position beginning on June 15th with an anticipated end date of August 7th, 2015. There are no medical benefits or vacation/sick time associated with this position. Compensation for this position is $9.82 per hour, paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Please submit the following application materials to Claudia West at firstname.lastname@example.org with Humane Education Assistant in the subject line:
- A thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience/qualifications — including your experience working with children
- Your application materials should also include your understanding of the requirement to be available each day during the 8 week period including prompt 7:00 a.m. arrival during small animal camps
- Current and up to date Resume
Animal Welfare League of Arlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.