Animal Care Technician
Animal Care Technicians provide daily care and feed the animals. They are responsible for maintaining the kennels in a manner which provides a healthy and pleasant environment for the animals.
- High School Diploma
- Ability to work well with volunteers, staff and the general public
- Ability to receive the rabies prophylaxis
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Must have a current valid drivers license
- Clean and disinfect cages and kennels of all animals on a daily basis. Keep kennels as clean and dry as possible throughout the day.
- Feed animals and note eating habits to ensure each animal is well fed.
- Give physical exams to incoming animals: check ears, check for fleas and ticks, and administer vaccinations and medications as needed. Bathe animals as needed.
- Work with area veterinarians to discuss animal health and treatments. Medicate animals as recommended by a veterinarian.
- Administer first aid to any injured animal as appropriate. Inform appropriate manager or Director of any animal needing professional health care.
- Become certified in euthanasia technique by a veterinarian after training. Assist in euthanasia and perform as needed.
- Assist in maintaining the shelter grounds including but not limited to picking up trash, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow and pulling weeds.
- Clean kitchens and common areas. Remove trash.
- Learn to use and enter information into the shelter’s computer database.
- Assist public in becoming acquainted with animals for adoption.
- Monitor animal activities to determine personality and behavior traits and record this information.
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
Requires prolonged standing with bending, stooping and stretching. Will be required to lift items into and from storage and lift or handle animals and be physically active. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with shelter animals, the public, volunteers, and staff. Also requires flexibility and adaptability to work with frequent interruptions.
Must be comfortable handling dogs, cats, and small companion animals.
Please submit the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with Animal Care Technician in the subject line:
- A cover letter describing your interest in the position and relevant experience/qualifications
- Please include salary history for the past three roles
Animal Welfare League of Arlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.